News: Full Article
SMART2 Progress - Front Street
May 17, 2022
The intended configuration of the redesign of Front Street is becoming apparent. Curbs have been installed along the westbound vehicular lane, giving definition to the space reserved for the adjacent landscaped amenity strip and sidewalk. Excavation in the center of the street is underway, in preparation for the installation of the eastbound vehicular lane curbing and landscaped amenity strip. One lane of through traffic is maintained in the eastbound direction, during the current construction.
Construction on Front Street, between Vindicator Square and South Avenue, is part of Phase 2 of the SMART2 project. These blocks have been redesigned to be safer and more accessible for users of multiple modes of transportation, including motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists. Project design features include the following:
- Road Diet: Reducing the existing 5 vehicular lanes to 1 in each direction, plus left turn lanes, as needed.
- Bi-directional protected bike lanes (south side of street), with landscaped amenity strip separation from eastbound vehicular lane.
- Sidewalk improvements, including landscaped amenity strip separation from westbound vehicular lane.
- Safety and aesthetic improvements to crosswalks.
- Energy efficient and aesthetic street lighting.